With the latest smart technology, people can lower the risk by continuously monitoring their business, home, and properties. We are talking about security cameras. People find them more beneficial because of their remote monitoring and less maintenance. But, the problem is, these cameras reset the data automatically.
That’s why a common question always roaming around people’s minds is how often do security cameras reset? Well, depending on several features, recording methods, resolutions, storages, and cameras it can vary. This guide will help you to find this answer along with some camera issues and fixes.
Important Things to Know Before Security Cameras Reset
To ensure you have all the latest security camera footage, the DVR/NVR automatically reset the footage. After resetting the security camera, all the footage got deleted. You can see the peephole security camera; it will record all the footage and review the missing things. You should know the below points before the camera reset.
- Set alerts to notify you before resetting
- Backup the records
- Checking the right boxes
- Know the laws to abide by
- Tagging the exceptions
How Often Do Security Cameras Reset?
Once the hard drive becomes full, the camera automatically resets all the footage. By default, all security cameras delete the older footage to start capturing new footage. Most hotels, supermarkets, construction companies, and retails stores security cameras reset the footage after 30 or 60 days. Banks reset the footage after every 6 months. Household or residential cameras keep footage for only 1 or 2 weeks. Basically, depending on three factors, you can get an idea of how often do security cameras reset. These factors are-
- 24/7 video recording
- Using motion alerts
- Schedule recording
These three factors use a different amount of storage; thus, the reset timing may vary. Higher image quality will use more bandwidth; as a result, the camera recording time will decrease. Another thing is the video compression technology that increases the camera storage along with reducing the video size. If you have more cameras, then your storage will fill up earlier. The NVR/DVR security system with 1 TB HDD can support 4 cameras and non-stop recording for 6days.
5 Common Security Cameras Problems and How to Fix Them?
Those who use a security camera face some common issues. This section will show the most common 5 problems, including their solutions to fix them up.
Providing Only Black & White Image
Because of two reasons, mainly a color security camera shows black and white footage. The first one is, it can see color with the high lighting level. The second one is if the camera can see in the dark with low-intensity ambient lighting or not. To fix this issue, follow the below steps.
- The first thing you should ensure is the camera’s requirement matches the ambient lighting condition. If they don’t, then you have to install an additional light source.
- An optical path should be unobscured with appropriate lighting. Also, check if the camera is damaged or not.
- Check if the camera outputs components, composite or analog video signals. Confirm the input video type matches with the output video type. Also, plugin the component video input into a composite video signal or vice-versa.
Horizontal Lines on CCTV Videos
Horizontal lines make monitoring difficult for the staff and distinguish the fine details for a long period of time. Here’s how you can solve this problem-
- Confirm that there is no falling down electrical light on the camera. Electrical light sources and bright lights can interfere with the single-chip CCD sensors. As a result, horizontal or flickering on footage can cause.
- Make sure the power supply is plugged in. Because a damaged power supply can interfere with the CCD sensor and cause distortions.
- Properly check the cables and ensure that they are placing away from high-frequency equipment. Correctly ground all the cables and make sure they are not connected with any electrical equipment.
No Video Signal
The most irritating issue with a security camera has no video signal. It may be due to power off, damaged cables, and poor data connection. Follow the below tips to solve these troubleshooting problems.
- Firstly, check the power connection is properly plugged in, and then make sure the cables are undamaged. Properly investigate the fuse box, power bricks, and the PoE switch.
- After confirming the accurate power connection, now check connectors and the cables that are connected to the DVR/NVR.
- Another thing is the network setting, and it should be correctly connected. Also, ensure the routers, video multiplexers, network switches, and DVR boxes are working in the correct order.
Camera Is Not Working at Night
Some cameras are rated for night use; despite this function, they provide black images at night. Because of the IR LEDs, they are not working accurately. Here are the best solutions.
- You should ensure first that the camera is configured to work at night. The day-and-night camera can automatically switch its mode. Don’t forget to check the settings of ambient light configuration if the night camera doesn’t work.
- As LEDs require more energy, the security cameras need extra energy at night. So, you have to ensure the security camera can meet the power requirements.
DVR Stop Recording
Sometimes the security camera works perfectly, but the DVR stops recording the footage. The main reasons for this issue are misconfiguration, failing DVR components, and lack of storage space. You can easily handle this troubleshot by following the below methods.
- The most obvious thing is checking if the recording is enabling or not. The hard drive of the DVR may be damaged. Confirm the accuracy of these things to make the DVR work like before.
- Also, if you reset the camera, the DVR will stop recording. So, you have to change the camera and DVR settings.
- Your DVR’s recording media should have sufficient storage space to store the footage. If needed, erase the unnecessary footage from the DVR.
In recent years, security camera systems have come a long way to ensure safety and security. These devices make it easier to keep an eye on home, office, or business. You can take full advantage of security cameras with their useful features.
As resetting a security camera is an essential part, so we discussed how often do security cameras reset. This article will provide you the knowledge about camera resetting, its common problems, and solutions.